Thursday 10 October 2013

Coast to coast and back in time too …

It had been my original intention to carry on around the coast of Nova Scotia by the shore of the Bay of Fundy to Yarmouth and then return by the south shore to Halifax.  As it happened I hadn't booked accommodation beyond Allen's Motel at Kentville, I was going to so that during the trip, but my plans had now changed as I would be doing a return trip to the Gaelic College on Cape Breton Island.

Today I head off the travel more directly by driving almost coast to coast south on a relatively remote road to the south coast, bit like the Highlands of Scotland most of the population seems to be around the coast.

Around halfway I stopped off at a small cafe at New Ross called 'Vittles'.
Being a takeaway as well as a cafe there seemed to be more passing locals calling by that visitors, it's not really a main tourist area and those that do come this way are probably like me cutting across from one coast to the other.

Not far away was another place I came across by chance and glad I decided to stop there,  New Ross Farm Museum


This is a working farm estate, where cows are milked by hand and oxen pull the ploughs.  It was early when I arrived on a wet day, there wasn't much happening outside, but there are several old buildings worth a visit to see their contents.

My first stop was at the former school     (click on pictures to enlarge)


In the school room the teenage custodian in period costume told me how six schools had been amalgamated into one and this one was no longer used.  That's a similar situation to my home village Lochcarron I told her.


Asked if she was ever bored working there she told me there was always something to do, which was obvious as she was continually working wool between her hands whilst we were talking. Seems she also makes the period costumes as well as straw hats. This young lady was so enthusiastic about her area and its heritage, she was a credit to the museum.


What did she like about being in there?  She pointed across the room to a desk "My mother used to sit there".  I asked her if I could take a couple of pictures of her for the blog, she was happy to oblige.  Talking about being able to see them  I told her www.lochcarron.tv and she would see the link there.  Neither of us had any paper to hand, so she asked me to write it on a slate of the nearby desk, well that was a first for me writing a web address on a slate ! 



 Next building was a short walk away, a large barn full of old farming equipment


This hay press dominated the first space, a huge contraption, the next picture is looking the other way at the opposite end.


The implements gradually progressed from wooden ones made by the settlers,




to ones that also included metal parts, some imported from Scotland


As things progressed over time they were able to manufacture locally in 
Nova Scotia


Another walk to a workshop where I found a teenager making a wooden spoon, apparently that's the first task they have to perfect to work there.


The estate house is not far away and contains many of its original items. William Ross originated from Ireland, fought in the British Army in Canada, and 1816 along with 172 former soldiers given land rights.  He died six years later but his son ran the farm and kept a diary which helped significantly when it was set up as a museum.


The maple table was made from the first tree cut down clearing the area.






I was still raining when I went back outside, passing more farm machinery on the way.  There's a lot more to see at the farm on a better day, as all the work is carried out traditionally with horses, oxen and hand milking of the cows.


Now it was time to continue my journey from coast to coast, through Chester and to stay at Lunenburg for the next two nights.  The reception office and house of the owner is up the hill from the road and out of town.  


The Homeport Motel has three rows of units further up the hill, mine was in the second row, another splendid privately owned property.




My coast to coast, motel to motel, road trip for today on Google maps

-o-O-o-



No comments:

Post a Comment